William Douglass (1831-1923)
Engineer-in-Chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights
Second son of Nicholas Douglass, William followed in his brother James's footsteps, completing Wolf Rock in 1869. In 1878 he was appointed Engineer-in-Chief to the Commissioners of Irish Lights, holding the post for twenty years, having spent twenty-six years with Trinity House. His first task in Ireland was to complete Straw Island, later he was responsible for the design of eight new towers including the second Fastnet.