Samuel Wyatt (1737-1807)
Samuel Wyatt was consultant engineer to Trinity House 1776-1807. The only tower of his to survive is that at Flamborough Head of 1806, though this was heightened later in the nineteenth century. He designed Dungeness in 1792 and the Longships in 1795, but there is a measure of uncertainty about the latter. He reported on St Agnes and fitted the present lantern in 1806, the only one of his, and perhaps the oldest English lantern, to survive intact. In 1793-5 he built Trinity House which suffered severe bomb damage in 1940. He also did work at Ramsgate, Portland, Foulness and the Needles.Samuel Wyatt was the older brother of the famous British architect, James Wyatt (1746-1813).