AS04: Lighthouses of Bangladesh

Although it lies in present-day Bangladesh, Chittagong province was the farthest part of northeast India at the time when Kutubdia (Kootubdeah) lighthouse, 106 feet (32.2 m) tall was constructed in the Bay of Bengal on the island of the same name in 1846. Chittagong is one of the wettest regions in the world and was ceded in 1760 to the British East India Company who developed it as a major port. The location of the Kutubdia lighthouse was 21o52.5’N 91o51’E at an elevation of 120 feet (36.4 m) on the western part of the island, from where it could be seen from 18 miles (29 km) out to sea.