The Trinity House of Newcastle
Although the Seamarks Act of 1566 gives the impression that Trinity House of Deptford had taken an active part in establishing the Tynemouth light, this was not the case. In fact, because any new seamark had to be financed by Trinity House, the Brethren usually held back because of the Corporations supposed limited funds. The problems arose in 1540, when Henry VIII appointed Lord Russell as Lord High Admiral. Under the authority of the King, Russell appointed deputies to collect the beacon and buoyage levy, particularly from ships using the River Thames. However, most of the money went into the Crown purse or was used for other projects, leaving Trinity house short of cash. The second major lighthouse in Britain at Tynemouth Castle was thus really the result of pressure by the Mayor and Aldermen of Newcastle, who, in turn, ensured that the management and control of the light was vested with the Earl of Northumberland. Local records show that the Earl was also the Captain of the Castle.